Gurton Hoard built the original frame building as a hotel in 1889, since this area was a days buggy ride from the Utica area to Detroit. The house also served as the location of the first village meeting place. After Mr. Hoards death, the house served many capacities - residence, boarding house, doctors office and apartments. Major additions and remodeling were done over the years with special attention to historical details.
In 1945, Lyle Gordon Elliott started the Lyle Elliott Funeral Home which his son Lyle Grant Elliott has continued to operate.